Monday, March 9, 2015

ODesk rejects me from freelancing

So here is the second post that I promised from the previous blog post. This is an incident that happened with ODesk. So just after I finished university, I thought I might just set up an account in a freelancing site so I can do some work, at least it was good to start off with.

As any other freelancing site, it makes sense for these companies to verify the workers so they ask for identification. So quite a while back I applied for this job and they required my identification. At the time I only had my passport for verification but I was a bit iffy in providing that detail so I didn't go ahead with that. Only about recently I logged into my account to find that financial transactions were limited in my account. At this point I still haven't done any work in ODesk, but I was thinking about it as a part time thing. I contacted support to get some help. Here is the first point of contact:

Email list:

Farhan Rahman

Feb 18, 7:07 PM

Hi I just wanted to know what it meant by Financial transactions limited on my account. Is there a problem? Can I not get paid for work?
Thanks,
Farhan
This email is a service from oDesk Help Center. Delivered by Zendesk.

The reply I get from ODesk is quite friendly and supportive:


Amber D. (oDesk Help Center)
Feb 20, 8:31 PM

Hi Farhan,

Thank you for contacting oDesk Customer Support.
I completely understand your disappointment with your suspended account and I wanted to let you know that I have received your request and am currently looking into this for you.
Please feel free to update this request at any time with any additional information that you feel would be useful.
We will respond as soon as we have an update for you, and we appreciate your patience in the meantime.
Regards,
Amber
oDesk Customer Support | support.odesk.com

After getting this email from ODesk Support, I didn't get a reply for a bit over 4 days so just contacted them for some more information. I also get a reply saying that my account has been resumed and its all working. However on March 9th 2015 I received an email from ODesk saying that there has been some irregularities with my account and I have to resubmit my identification process. So I found the identification processing form and submitted my passport details. I also try to question them why my identification can be rejected and I mentioned that I can provide any documentation to prove my identify. The following list of emails sumarise what I just said:


Farhan Rahman
Mar 9, 6:44 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

I just submitted my identification documentation. I have read the terms as well that the site requires me to update a copy of my bill having my address. I have a copy with me as well which I can upload but the location wasn't very clear as to where I can upload. Can you let me know where I can upload the utility bill document?
Thanks,
Farhan

Hi,

I really don't understand why the account has been suspended. I can provide any documentation for supporting my case. How do I submit it? Can you please reply as soon as possible?

Thanks,
Farhan
Farhan Rahman
Mar 9, 6:28 AM

Hi,

I really don't understand why the account has been suspended. I can provide any documentation for supporting my case. How do I submit it? Can you please reply as soon as possible?
Thanks,
Farhan
Raymund T (oDesk Help Center)

Mar 9, 3:05 AM

Hello Farhan Rahman,
I’ve reviewed your account with our team and it seems your account was closed due to irregularities detected by our system. Additionally, kindly submit your statement and complete your ID verification process.
We regularly review member accounts to ensure activity follows Odesk policies and guidelines. If you wish to review our Terms and Conditions, please visit: https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/
I understand your concern, but in discussing this with our team I am not able to reverse the decision.

Angelica Nava (oDesk Help Center)
Mar 6, 9:13 AM
Hello Farhan Rahman,
Thank you for contacting the oDesk Marketplace Quality Team. Please know that we already resume your profile.
Regards,
Angel N
The oDesk Trust & Safety Team



Farhan Rahman

Feb 25, 9:12 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,

I just wanted to know the progress with the ODesk identity verification application. Is there anything I need to provide?

Thanks,
Farhan
The discriminating email from ODesk:

So the next email I get from ODesk is quite shocking. Bear in mind that at this point I submitted my passport details which is from Bangladesh:


Noel B (oDesk Help Center)
Mar 9, 6:45 AM
Dear Farhan,
Unfortunately, our working relationship must come to an end.
Our commitment is to maintain a safe and trusting platform for all users. As a private company, we also have the right to determine who can engage in our platform and at this time our Trust and Safety management team has come to the conclusion that your participation can no longer be supported.
This decision is final and there is no appeal process. While we respectfully ask that you not contact us again, we do wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Noel
The oDesk Trust & Safety Team

So the guy just says in order to "maintain a safe and trusting platform for all user" they are going to have to let me go. As of today, I cannot have any financial transaction and my account is basically all blocked. Just by coincidence this happened to be just after I submitted my identification which happens to be a Bangladeshi passport. They even tell me not to contact them! Its just ridiculous. I then sent them an email linking them to my GitHub account, a research paper that I contributed to and my university degree as well with my results. I told them politely that if they don't think the application can go any further, then they should let me know and I will close the account. I really have no idea what I did wrong there. Anyways, all this was pretty darn insulting and I thought it will be good to share what they can do. Fortunately I am not dependent on ODesk to provide for myself on a daily basis but I am sure other people who wants to freelance could have faced this issue and had nowhere to turn to. I just want to take this opportunity to notify everyone else involved in freelancing about this incident so they can take precautions.

Anyways please feel free to leave your comments below for discussion and share this if you like it.


2 comments: